Someone in my house loves, loves, loves oatmeal. Only problem is, there isn’t as much protein in it as I would like it to offer in a serving. Furthermore, said diner has decided that all eggs are the enemy. And, it’s not like I want to serve up a slab of tofu, bacon, steak, pork, or a dead fish on a plate at 7:00 a.m.
So, I got to thinking, “What if I add eggs?!” Et voilá!
Now, I cast an evil laugh with every bite taken of the golden pot of protein-laden porridge served each morning. Whaaa-haaa-haaa.
Please let me know how yours turns out!
for Egg-HatersYield: 3-4 Small Servings
2 Large Eggs (should equal about 1/2 C)
1 C. Water, cool to cold
3/4 C. Raw Oats
Pinch of Salt, optional
Sweetener of Choice
1. Crack two eggs into a 2-cup measuring pitcher.
2. Add water to total 1.5 cups.
3. Whisk thoroughly.
4. Put into small pot.
5. Add oats and pinch of salt.
6. Turn heat on low.
7. Whisk constantly and consistently to avoid the eggs cooking up into chunks. (Ew. It can happen if you’re not watching over the pot.)
8. The mixture should be a nice pale golden color.
9. Once thoroughly cooked — we all know what cooked oatmeal looks like — perhaps after 5-10 minutes, remove from heat.
10. Add vanilla extract and sweetener. Stir well.
11. Once in serving bowls, add your toppings and deliver to the table.